GLASGOW–SHETTLESTON

GLASGOW–SHETTLESTON
  • GLASGOW–SHETTLESTON
  • Date Inducted: 2017

History

There is a long history of witness to the Reformed Faith in this part of the West of Scotland east of Glasgow. The covenanting movement had many supporters in the district, and after 1690 a Cameronian congregation was organized with its western end at ‘Sandhills near Glasgow’. This body used a meeting-house in Sandyhills Road until 1819. Rev John McMillan, organiser of the Cameronians is buried in the old parish churchyard. Rev John Thomson was parish minister of Shettleston, and resigned from the establishment at the Disruption of 1843. After worshipping in a barn and a temporary building, the congregation built a new Free Church at Sandyhills in 1850. The Carntyne Mission became in 1890 the second Free Church charge in Shettleston. In 1900, both ministers joined the Union, together with most of the people. A remnant from Carntyne persisted in loyalty to the Free Church, and built the present building in 1909.

Communion Seasons

2nd Sabbath in May and 3rd Sabbath in November.

Mailing Address

  • Free Church Manse
  • 191 Sandyhills Road
  • Glasgow
  • G32 9NB
  • United Kingdom
  • 0141 573 3462

Contacts