The first evangelical minister in Ness was Rev. Finlay Cook who came in 1829. At the Disruption in 1843 the minister, Rev. John Finlayson, and the congregation came out and for three years worshipped in the open air. A church and a manse were built in South Dell in 1846. A church was then built in 1892 at Cross. In 1900 the minister, Rev. Donald MacDonald, entered the Union but in 1909 the remaining Free Church congregation were able to call Rev. Duncan MacDougall.
At the Reconstitution of the Free Church in 2000 the congregation was vacant.
The congregation has built a new place of worship which was opened in December 2003 and a new manse which was completed in 2009.