Originally a congregation that broke away from the Free Presbyterian Church it was admitted to the Free Church in 1958. Rev. Donald MacDonald was inducted as minister the same year.
In 2008 a new place of worship, the former Copperfield House, located in the Westhill area on the east of the city of Inverness and overlooking the Beauly Firth, was purchased by the congregation, serving also as a manse. The building also houses the denomination's Seminary and hosts meetings of the Commission of Assembly and Standing Committees of Assembly.